Thursday, July 26, 2012

S'mores Brownies





I came across this recipe on foodnetwork.com years ago and never got around to trying it... I had saved it to my recipe box and forgot about it. Then once I discovered Pinterest, I went back to all those recipes I had saved and pinned them so now I have them all in one place and will remember where to look for new recipes I want to try! (Can you tell I love Pinterest?) Well, now that I am gluten-free and also need to by dairy-free and nut-free for a while, I needed to modify the recipe accordingly and here is what I did:

Ingredients

Crust:
6 tbsp vegan buttery sticks, melted (I used earth balance)
1 1/2 cups crushed gluten-free graham cracker crumbs (I used kinnikinnik s'moreables)
2 tbsp sugar
pinch salt

Brownie:
Gluten-free brownie mix (I used Betty Crocker's but I also like the Gluten Free Pantry one)
ingredients called for in the brownie mix - substitute coconut oil for the butter most of the mixes call for

Topping:
4 cups larges marshmallows

Directions

Preheat the oven to 325F. Spray an 8x8 baking dish/pan (I used glass) with canola oil and line with parchment paper.

CRUST: Use some of the melted buttery sticks to lightly coat the parchment paper and then mixed the rest of it with the crumbs, sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Press the crumb mixture evenly over the bottom of the pan. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.

BROWNIE: While the crust is baking, make the brownies according to the package directions (substituting coconut oil for the butter). Poor over crust and bake according to package directions.

TOPPING: When brownies are done, take them out of the oven and move the top rack to about 6 inches from the broiler and set the broiler to low (I put my custom broiler at the 350F). Layer the marshmallows across the top and toast under the broiler until golden, about 2 minutes. (Keep your eye on them the whole time don't walk away!) Cool on a rack.

Now I let mine cool in the pan and cut them the next day but it was a bit of a pain. I oiled a knife to cut through the marshmallows and then cut through the brownie and crust, re-oiling the knife often. Everything else was pretty easy! The original recipes has you lining the pan with foil but that has never worked well for me... the parchment paper worked out well. 



*This recipe was adapted from www.foodnetwork.com (link to the actual recipe can be found in the first paragraph of this blog post).

No comments:

Post a Comment